FIND GREAT BARGAINS WITH TWITTER
Basically Twitter is a site where you and others can provide quick, short (less than 140 characters) descriptions of what you are doing, or share interesting informational tidbits and links. It’s a lot like text messages, except that Twitter is more public and you can access it on the Web; you don’t need the other person’s phone number and they don’t need yours. You can simply visit someone else’s Twitter page to see their messages, or, if you sign up for a Twitter account, you can ‘follow’ someone else’s Twitter. If you follow someone, then every time you visit your Twitter homepage and sign in, you’ll see the mess ages (known as Tweets) from the people you are following.
TO VISIT OR FOLLOW MR. CHEAP STUFF ON TWITTER
- To visit, just go to Mr. Cheap Stuff on Twitter
- To follow, Visit Twitter.com, create a free account, and sign in
- Then visit Mr. Cheap Stuff on Twitter and click ‘follow’
- To receive Twitter messages on your cell phone: go to Twitter Account Settings, click the “devices” tab and follow the instructions to set up. Keep in mind that Twitter messages will cost you just like any other text messages.
USE RSS FEEDS TO SCORE CHEAP DEALS
Subscribe to Mr. Cheap Stuff
If you’re a fan of Mr. Cheap Stuff, then maybe you are in the habit of visiting this site on a regular basis to see all the best deals and bargains. If you don’t visit this site, you’ll miss out. But what if you’re a busy person or have many websites you like to visit, and it’s hard to remember or find the time to do it?
RSS is your answer. RSS stands for Really Simple Syndication. You don’t need to know what that means, technically. The important thing is that it is a type of programming which allows you to ‘subscribe’ to automatically receive headlines, links and updates from your favorite websites and blogs. You will know, without even visiting a site directly, that the site has posted new articles, so you will know whether there is something of interest to you. The little orange symbol on a site provide you the link to that site’s RSS ‘feed’. But how do you set up your computer to use this feed?
There are several ways but my favorite is My Yahoo. Basically this is a free service from Yahoo! which allows you to create a customized news page containing the content that you want.
HOW TO SET UP MR. CHEAP STUFF RSS ON MY YAHOO!
- If you don’t already have a Yahoo! Account, sign up at Yahoo.com to get a username and password. You’ll also be provided a Yahoo! Email address but you need not use it if you already have another email provider.
- Sign into Yahoo! If your browser asks whether it should remember your password, answer yes
- Go to My Yahoo.com
- Make this your homepage; there’s a link at the upper left, or go to your browser’s internet options and choose “set current page as homepage”. This way, whenever you open your browser or go “home”, you’ll see your customized page.
- Now go to Mr. Cheapstuff and click the RSS orange icon
- You should see a box that asks you whether you want to add this feed to “My Yahoo” , click yes
- That’s it – now, Mr. Cheap Stuff’s headlines will be automatically displayed and updated on your new homepage. You can click links to go directly to any article that interests you.
But the fun doesn’t stop there. You can add other information to your new My Yahoo homepage, too.
- Click the upper-left link that says “add content”
- There are many pre-programmed choices to add, such as weather, horoscopes, top stories, etc.
Now you have a great new homepage that displays exactly the information that interests you the most.
FIND FABULOUS DEALS ON FACEBOOK
Facebook is mostly for keeping in touch with, and seeing pictures of, your friends and acquaintances. But did you know you can also find great deals on it? Many companies have a Facebook site where they share special offers that you might not find elsewhere. Starbucks is one of the biggest examples – they’re the number one most popular brand on Facebook, with over 3.8 million Facebook fans as of now, and counting. Recent offers included a free pastry with beverage purchase. To score these deals you need to join Facebook and become a “fan”. Here’s how:
- Go to Facebook.com and sign up for an account if you don’t already have one. It’s free.
- Sign in to your account and answer ‘yes’ if your browser asks whether to remember the password. If you plan on using Facebook for social purposes as well, then take some time to fill out your profile and upload pictures. By the way, you can adjust the privacy settings to restrict access to your profile.
- Go to: www.facebook.com/starbucks and click ‘become a fan’. Then, whenever you sign in to Facebook, you’ll automatically be informed of any news and deals from Starbucks. You can do this for other companies’ Facebook pages as well. For example, I became a Facebook fan of iTunes and scored a really nice alternative music compilation with some great songs.