For all the hoopla about Black Friday, the real money is spent on the Monday after Thanksgiving, known as Cyber Monday. According to the National Retail Federation, 96.5 million Americans shopped online during Cyber Monday last year, while 79 million Americans shopped at retailers’ physical locations on Black Friday.
So it’s no wonder that Cyber Monday gets bigger every year. About 88 percent of retailers plan to have some special sales promotions available that day, and most website are likely to offer free shipping. Traditionally, technology items (such as computers, GPS, etc.) top the sales but you’ll find great savings on other items too.
Ready to shop? Here are our top ten Cyber Monday tips and some highlighted special deals. This is just the tip of the iceberg; visit your favorite retailer’s site to find more deals as well.
1. Plan ahead. Sign up for e-newsletters from the online stores you want to shop at since they will often send out Cyber Monday deals early to subscribers. Check our Mr. Cheap Stuff coupons. Also, be sure your computer is secure. Make sure it’s fully updated with spam filters, anti-virus and anti-spyware software and a secure firewall. When you’re on a site’s checkout page, and you’re being asked for credit card info, make sure that page is secured; look in the address box for the “s” in “https://” in the browser bar and in the lower-right corner for the lock symbol before paying. After you order, print or save your final confirmation page; also check your email for a confirmation as well, and save that.
2. For Staples Cyber Monday, their Facebook page has leaked some deals including a TomTom XXL GPS for $79.99 and an 8GB USB drive for $9.99.
3. Walgreens has an entire Cyber Monday Week, November 28 – December 4. Use the following discount codes: CYBER5 for $5 off $30; CYBER15 for $15 off $60; or CYBER20 for $20 off $75. Online sale items include an Olympus 14 MP camera for $89.99 (regularly $149.99).
4. Looking for nice clothes? The Limited will have 40% off site wide, plus free shipping. Bloomingdales offers 20% off all orders ($50 off $250) and 30% to 40% off select items, plus free shipping on orders of $100 or more.
5. At Dell, their Dell Cyber Monday offerings include an Inspiron Mini 9 for $299, or an Inspiron 1525 laptop for $519, with a 15.4 inch widescreen display, Intel Pentium Dual Core Processor T3200, 3 GB Ram, 250 GB SATA Hard Drive and DVD+/-RW Drive. Dell is offering free shipping on select electronics and accessories orders over $129 (before tax & fees). Check out our Dell Coupon Codes.
6. At Best Buy, find the Acer AL2216Wbd 22-inch Widescreen Flat-Panel LCD HD Monitor for $169.99 and free shipping. Also save $10-15 off all iPods, and $10-20 off video games like Guitar Hero Aerosmith bundle for $49.99. Best Buy is also selling a Samsung 52″ 1080p LCD HDTV for $1700.
7. At Amazon.com, you’ll find the Canon ImageCLASS MF4350d Laser All-in-One printer for $169 (that’s about $30 less than the price at other retailers).
8. Sony will deduct $200 off the price of a CS Vaio notebook when you enter promo code CYBERMONDAYVAIOCS.
10. Target has been tight-lipped about their Cyber Monday deals, but you can sign up for their email newsletter to get the first word on exclusive savings.
Photo Credit via Flickr